Joe Biden's Straight Talk Express comes to Asia! WaPo Bureau Chief Michelle Ye Hee Lee joins us to talk about what Biden took away from his time in Japan. If he's anything like most Americans, we're betting that list includes a Hello Kitty T-shirt and a fake sword.
Ferris Wheel and Kintsugi River boats!
Topics discussed on this episode include:
- How much we POTENTIALLY appreciate Elon Musk
- Bobby's BBQ shop gets even closer to completion
- Ollie rails against the propertied class
- Bobby's kids make relationship milestones
- Ollie at the Brighton Fringe
- The highs and lows of performing live comedy
- Why did that couple excuse themselves from Ollie's show mid-performance?
- Therapy and catharsis and the overlap between joke writing and self-analysis
- Metaphors about the wrong kinds of transportation
- Gratitude for our wonderful listeners
- Michelle's experience covering Biden's Asian Tour
- Michelle being super professional in the face of very silly questions
- IPEF: DON'T CALL IT A COME BACK
- How does Japan feel about the US walking out of TPP
- All things politics around Biden's Asia Trip
- North Korean Covid: What do we know?
- Japan opened for limited group tours, limited group tours open for Corona-infection
Extras this time include conversations about:
- How the pandemic turned Michelle's long-distance relationship into a long-distance marriage
- Bobby and Ollie's advice for surviving long-distance
- What it's like when you, as a journalist, become the focus of a piece of journalism
- How does Guam see its relationship with the mainland US/feel about mainland current events?
- US current events 😭
- Ukranian "evacuees" and the unprecedented nature of Japan's willingness to let them in
And LOT's more great content!
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
Michelle Ye Hee Lee at the Washington Post
Social Media Links:
Some are affiliate links because we're sell-outs
- We record remotely using Squadcast and the podcast is hosted on Transistor.
- Bobby uses the Samson Go Mic and Ollie uses the AT2005USB mic